1. “Luke, I am your father.” – Star Wars
It’s a good thing that this breathless quote hails from one of the original Star Wars movies Today, a statement like this would have landed Darth Vader on a chair next to three storm troopers and a couple of wookies on the Maury Povich Show.
2. “Say ‘Hello’ to my little friend.” – Scarface
Couldn’t say he didn’t warn ‘em before blasting through the door with his, ‘er, little friend…the whole line began with, “You, wanna play rough? OK!” Fortunately, Al Pacino’s character didn’t take the lack of return greeting personally, nor did his little friend.
3. “Life is like a box of chocolates…you never know what you’ll get.” – Forrest Gump
We couldn’t have said it better Forrest; now run, Forrest, run!
4. “Here’s Johnny!” – The Shining
If you weren’t already creeped out enough by the character transition of Jack Nicholson in The Shining, this bizarre announcement surely pushed you over the edge. We think his family really started ‘getting it’ about then, too.
5. “Sounds like somebody’s got a case of the Monday’s!” – Office Space
Oh, those irritatingly over-chipper co-workers! Deidric Bader’s character said it best when asked if he ever heard the phrase at his job and he replied, “No man, heck no. I think you’d get your ‘butt’ kicked for saying something like that!”
6. “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.” – The Godfather
By far one of the most memorable movie quotes, it’s hard to imagine any offer that Vito Corleone made even could be refused – if you enjoy breathing, that is.
7. “You Hear it? Carpe, Diem… Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.” – Dead Poet’s Society
We can still hear it! Robin Williams was extraordinary himself as he taught his students to buck conformity and seek dreams and true calling in life.
8. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” – Gone With the Wind
After everything he went through trying to land Scarlett’s love, when Rhett Butler uttered these immortal words, it was clear that it was over – for good. Finally!
9. “Houston, we have a problem.” – Apollo 13
It’s become its own version of “uh oh,” but most Houstonians that fight traffic, pollution, and 100-plus temperatures would likely agree that they still have a problem.
10. “Go ahead punk. Make my day.” – Dirty Harry
You could tell that Clint Eastwood really was hoping that this punk would make his day by giving him just one reason to pull the trigger. This movie quote creeps up all over TV and film today, and is almost as legendary as Eastwood himself.
11. “There’s no place like home.” – The Wizard of Oz
This movie quotes been hanging around much longer than most people ever care to stay in Kansas. No offense, but hanging out with munchkins seems way cooler!
12. “You can’t handle the truth!” – A Few Good Men
Jack was right, most of us really can’t handle the truth, and the longevity of this top movie quote keeps on reminding us!