“It” has dominated the US box office with a hugely successful $117 million opening and it continues to smash the records.
The famous horror drama written by Stephen King, adapted by Chase Palmer, Cary Fukunaga and Gary Dauberman, and directed by Andy Muschietti, managed to get:
- the largest September opening,
- the largest autumn opening,
- the largest opening for a horror movie of any rating.
And this is only the beginning. It is pretty clear that audiences missed Pennywise, the most terrifying clown to ever hit big screens.
What is interesting is that the follow-up is already in the works, which is no surprise considering the success of the first movie that did well overseas as well, cashing in $62 million for a $179.1 million global opening.
THE REST OF THE BOX OFFICE LIST:
- “Home Again” earned $9 million.
- “The Hitman’s Bodyguard” earned $4.8 million.
- “Annabelle: Creation” with $4 million ($96.2 million in the US, total!)
- “Wind River” with $3.2 million.
- “Leap!” got $2.5 million.
- “Spider-Man: Homecoming” earned $2 million.
- “Dunkirk” added $1.9 million.
- “Logan Lucky” earned $1.8 million.
- “The Emoji Movie” added $1 million.